Monday, January 4, 2010

So Many Questions

Let's start 2010 by answering some of the most common questions I get about "My Two Cents".

Why don't you respond to the comments left on the My Two Cents blogsite? Quite honestly, I don't have the time. Between 60-hours a week here at the station, officiating high school sports, doing high school sports play-by-play, covering the Badgers and the Packers, playing my own sports, spending time with my wife, and doing work around the house I really don't have a lot of time to spend on the internet (just ask anyone who checks out my Facebook page).

"My Two Cents" became a blog after getting so many requests to "send me a copy of that" or "is there some way I can forward that to someone else" after the on-air presentation every day, that it just became more convenient for me to just write it to the Web every morning. Plus, it has become a great draw for the WOSH website--which means our advertisers are getting their names in front of more eyes each day.

I do try to read the comments every few days--deleting those that are profane or unfairly attack others--while those that include well-thought out arguments--or that are clever and make me laugh--get read on the air.

Don't some of the things people write and say about you upset you? They probably upset my mother more than me. Anytime you do anything in the public realm you are going to get criticism--fair or unfair. Most of the time, I just chuckle at what is written--especially by "anonymous" posters. It's amazing how "perfect" (and bold) people are in the anonymity afforded by the internet. Keep that in mind whenever reading "information" posted by people who won't provide their name and contact information on-line.

If you have all the answers, why don't you run for public office? Unlike most people, I would have to quit my job to run for public office. The Federal Communications Commission requires "equal access" of the public airwaves to all political candidates. So unless you would want four hours of any of my political opponents on the air every day--I'm forced to sit on the sidelines. Besides, I doubt Dave Ramsey would approve of quitting a full-time job to seek a part-time School Board or City Council position. If you are going to run on a "fiscal responsibility" platform--that should probably start at home.

2 comments:

  1. I would think that you could respond to some of the comments whereas you would at least defend why you said what you said. You could take a few minutes to do this along doing your daily blog in the morning.

    Or, instead of a new blog on Fridays, use that time to respond to comments made the previous 4 days.

    It would just be a lot more interesting to hear why you say what you say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Equal access doesn't mean equal time, and there are four exceptions, including scheduled newscasts so you're safe.

    ReplyDelete