Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Would You Like Some Inclusiveness With Your Beer?

Super Bowl LI advertisers are being criticized for being "too political" this year.  Some think that too many companies were trying to "make a statement" with ads that didn't really sell their product--but instead were trying to "push an agenda".  Because the game was so good, I honestly don't remember the content of many of the ads--which should be a profound statement for those that spent $5-MILLION per 30-seconds with the promise of getting my attention.

On several of our programs here on WOSH Monday, there were calls to boycott companies that went political and not commercial on Sunday--but let's be honest, there is really no need.  For instance, we don't have an 84 Lumber anywhere near us--so how am I going to "stop shopping there"?  You couldn't pay me enough to drink the swill that Anheuser-Busch produces--especially Budweiser and Bud Light--so you could say I was already "boycotting" them in the name of good taste.  I'm a Jeep guy, so the underperforming Kia wannabe four-wheel drives already have no appeal to me.  And I doubt that I will ever be able to afford an Alfa-Romeo with cash--Dave Ramsey style.

There would one tough one to give up.  Could I live without Coca-Cola?  I probably could.  But Pepsi is not good--so I'm not giving them my business--and the alternatives like RC or store brands are even worse--so I guess I'm stuck with a Coke and a smile even if they support illegal immigration.  I haven't ever used AirBNB--but I have checked out their site and considered it for vacation travel.  And there is really no "business" to boycott--as those using the site are independent contractors--who reserve the right to refuse to rent to whomever they wish--so who is to say the guy with the apartment in the Bahamas doesn't agree with me on everything else political?

While we are on the topic of the ads--it is clear that the enormous price tag just to get on the air Super Sunday has hurt the creativity of the commercials themselves.  What could be funnier with a bit more time is rushed through because a firm can only afford 30-seconds of ad time.  And when it costs you $5-MILL just to get in the door, not much is left for the creative or production elements.  Maybe that is why those companies decided to go with an "inclusive" theme instead of comedy.  It's a lot easier to be political that it is to be humorous.

No comments:

Post a Comment