Tuesday, May 16, 2017

This Can't Go On

Before I start today, I'd like to thank the Wisconsin Broadcasters Association for awarding "My Two Cents" with a 2nd place in the Best Editorial/Commentary category at the recent awards banquet honoring excellence in broadcasting.  This is the 8th time that I've received an award for the feature and I appreciate their holding my work in such high regard.  This year's award winning entry was my commentary on the proper way to protest Oshkosh City Council Member Caroline Panske's refusal to stand for the Pledge of Allegiance at the first meeting after President Donald Trump won the election last November.

Speaking of which, "My Two Cents" now finds itself at a crossroads.  I've always prided myself on covering a wide variety of topics every morning: politics (local, national and international), sports, pop culture, science, trends in education and bad driving are all in the rotation.  But I'm starting to fear that it's about to become "Donald Trump's latest horrifying gaffe" over and over again.

We've got 17-hours a day of programming here on WOSH where you can hear commentators bending over backwards to somehow defend the President's latest statement, action, threat, tweet and trip to the golf course--every day.  Just last Friday I urged people to demand better than this.  And then three days later the Administration takes it to another all-time low.

I'm considering writing a blanket "Two Cents" that everyone can just refer back to as this clown show continues on for the next three years and eight months.  (That's right, it has only been four months so far).  So every morning you can just imagine in your mind my voice saying "As a Conservative, this is not what I believe in".  Or, "I don't think this is the way the Constitution intended Government to work".  Or, "There isn't a day that goes by that I don't feel good about writing in Paul Ryan for President last November".

It might be easier to just post an avatar of myself holding my head in my hands.  They say a picture is worth a thousand words.  Might not win another radio award for that though.

No comments:

Post a Comment