Thursday, August 2, 2012

You Gotta Fight...For Your Right...To Eat Chicken!!!!

Like their forefathers before them, millions of Americans took up arms on Wednesday to protect their freedoms.  Okay, they actually bought breaded chicken sandwiches--and nobody was shooting at them--but still, a pretty strong statement was made.

Of course, I'm talking about Chick-Fil-A Support Day, which saw long lines at the fast food restaurant locations across the country.  While I'm sure some of those who lined up yesterday wanted their feelings on gay marriage known, I'm hoping the majority were there to say "I believe the First Amendment guarantees the most important rights that I have."

Personally, I don't understand the controversy over Chick-Fil-A's President denouncing gay marriage.  The restaurants aren't open on Sundays--so where exactly did you expect him to fall on the topic?  Someone might want to ask the family that runs Hobby Lobby the same question.  I'm guessing we may be looking at glitter boycott after that article is published.

I've been to Chick-Fil-A once in my life, and I don't remember a sign on the door saying "No Gays Allowed".  I wasn't asked if I was heterosexual before placing my order.  And no one is accusing the company of refusing to hire gay people.  The guy who runs the place exercised his First Amendment right to explain his stance on the issue to a religious newspaper published under First Amendment protections.  And since his explanation was Biblical in nature--and didn't take place as a government official on government-owned property--it was also protected under the First Amendment right to freedom of religious practice.

Until the Supreme Court's ruling on the Affordable Care Act, I would have told those upset with Chick-Fil-A to exercise their freedom to no longer buy their food there--but I guess now the government can require you to eat at Chick-Fil-A--so long as they impose a (ahem) "tax" on those who refuse to do it--you will have to find another protest route.  I guess the choice GLAAD is promoting is to have same-sex couples go to Chick-Fil-A on Friday and make out in front of all the customers.  That should make all of the evangelicals change their minds!

By the way, do you find it odd that no other restaurant chain is jumping on this controversy to increase its market share?  KFC is saying NOTHING about this (despite social media efforts to make it the "alternative" chicken restaurant)--and McDonalds is not running ads during the Olympics featuring good-looking gay couples ordering Crispy Chicken Sandwiches.  Believe me, if any of those corporations thought there was a chance to make an extra ten cents--they would be pandering to anyone who even thinks they might "play for the other team".

In the meantime, I'll continue to enjoy the only chicken I can tolerate--Blazin Hot Wings at Buffalo Wild Wings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment