Thursday, December 31, 2015

Stop Putting This Off

Usually, I don't do New Year's resolutions.  It's not that I think that I'm perfect and that there is nothing upon which I can improve.  It's just that I know behavior does not change overnight just because a calendar page turns over and it's a new year.  But in 2016 I do plan to address my biggest weakness: I am a chronic procrastinator.

For some reason, I cannot get important things done until the last minute.  Here in the electronic media, "deadline" to get a story done or an interview completed is the next half-hour--so there is that constant feeling of "I need to get this done right away".  But that gives me "mental permission" to push off other things that might not need to be completed until tomorrow, or next week or sometime in the next month.  And what invariably happens?  Those things don't get done until they absolutely have to.

But sometimes, they don't get done at all--because some other "emergency" came up in the window of opportunity to complete the project--and the next thing you know, you've missed the deadline on the project you once had days or months to complete.  One of the biggest challenges to overcoming procrastination is not having that feeling of "pressure" to get something done when you are not racing the clock.  It's almost like a shot of adrenaline.

Ok, so if I'm going to do something to better my life, I'm going to ask you to do the same.  And my challenge for you is to get your financial lives in order.  We are slowly moving toward an improved economy--and with it the opportunity to put more money in your pocket.  Rather than spending all of that with an extra cup of overpriced drive-thru coffee--why not put that money to work for your retirement?  Or your child's college education?

I know you've been meaning to put together a budget, or to meet with your "financial guy" or to set up that Educational Savings Account--but you've been putting it off (sound familiar?).  So instead of being one of those people who overrun the fitness clubs next week (only to disappear by the end of the month)--be the person that fills up the waiting room at a financial advisor and make 2016 the year to get out of debt and save for the future.

If you need a little help, you can tune into the Dave Ramsey Show here on WOSH from 2-5 weekdays for some positive re-inforcement.  Oh--and don't say you'll start doing that....tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment